We’ve lived in our house for coming up to ten years and have gradually renovated the different rooms but our bedroom is the one room that has totally been neglected.We’re (I’m) currently in the process of redecorating the whole house but after our stairs and landing makeover the bedroom looked even worse in comparison.
When we first moved in we used lining paper to smooth the walls and painted it neutral but since then it’s just been left.There’s always been other priorities, other rooms that needed attention before ours. Then Archie came along and we were once again sharing our room. We only have two bedrooms and with Archie’s Autism it’s not only unfair to ask Brandon to share a room with his little brother but it’s also unsafe due to all the electronic equipment a teenager has. So until we have saved enough to convert the loft, Archie will be staying in our room.
A few months back we decided to buy some Ikea partition furniture to give Archie his own area now he’s sleeping in a toddler bed rather than a cot. From there I decided I wanted a cohesive look to the whole room but wanted it to be bright & fun too. Do you realise how hard it is to buy toddler bedding that matches a double duvet? Very hard! I spent hours trawling the internet until I found this stunning duvet cover from Dunelm and the George Pig bedding from Argos. I’d finally found what I was looking for so my colour scheme was set & I was ready to start my bedroom makeover.
I didn’t want wallpaper as it would be too busy with the bright bedding and would be out of the £100 budget we were set from Hilary’s Blinds, so a bright coloured feature wall was perfect. I decided to go for a paler duck egg blue rather than the bright teal of the bedding and wanted something on the walls to define each space. I loved the idea of wall stickers/transfers but then decided I could get exactly what I wanted if I did it myself.
I decided to do some hand drawn chunky lettering in black to tie both areas of the room together but to also tie into the black of the Ikea furniture. Using a black marker pen I started drawing the outline of the lettering then filled it in with black acrylic paint. Afterwards I tidied up the lettering with the marker pen & ruler to give a crisp outline to the letters.
I love the end result, Archie’s side looks fun & funky and our side modern & grown up, the perfect balance.
Once I’d completed the walls the old battered wardrobe & bedside cabinets looked out of place but on the £100 budget there was no way I could get new furniture too so instead I decided to just go the whole hog & makeover the old furniture. It makes such a huge difference and only cost just under £30 for two tins of Rust-oleum Chalky Finish Furniture Paint, which covered the three door wardrobe inside & out plus the two bedside cabinets.
All together I spent just under £90, a total bargain:
£19.99 on our bedding
£12.99 on Archie’s bedding
£12.99 on wall paint
£29.98 on furniture paint
plus around £10 on paint brushes & rollers
If you want to see the results of other the other bloggers involved in the big bedroom makeover then pop over to Hillary’s Blinds.
I’m joining in with these lovely linkies